The Eureka Herald, a weekly newspaper, was founded by S.G. Mead on July 3, 1868, which made The Eureka Herald the first newspaper ever published in Greenwood County.
In the nearly 135 years of existence as a newspaper, The Eureka Herald has only missed one issue being published, when in about 1870, a storm left five inches of snow covering the press, paper, and type.
In June of 1976, the Greenwood County Publishing Co., was organized by Richard and Rachel Clasen and they purchased The Eureka Herald. Rachel was named president of the corporation and Richard was the secretary/treasurer of the corporation. He also served as the Editor and Publisher of the newspaper until his death, December 9, 2007.
His daughter, Robin Wunderlich, followed in her grandfather, George H. Clasen, and her father's footsteps when she took over as editor following the death of her father. George was editor of one newspaper in Missouri and two newspapers in Kansas during his career and Richard served as editor of the Florence Bulletin in 1964 and was publisher and editor of the Yates Center News.
Over the past 32-plus years, nearly 65 individuals have worked either full or part-time for the newspaper. The current staff includes Lexie Biering, Jen Thomsen, Darlene Denner, Linda Wunderlich, Rachel Clasen and Robin Wunderlich.